'Dry January' Is Ovuh, So Now What? Support For Streamlining Your Cocktail Intake
Before I dive into the heart of this post, can we pls just discuss the epic cuteness of the glass in the pic I’m using to illustrate it? It’s by a barware brand called Uncommon Green and you can basically get all kinds of drinky merch imprinted with a map of your city or geographic area.
I picked the Florida Keys because I’m completely jonesing for a trip back down there. Hello? Hemingway Home? I need to pay another visit and pet all those six-toed cats…
Something just occurred to me while I was typing that last sentence: Hemingway was a huuuuuuuuuge lush. Since I don’t want you to be even a teensy weensy bit like Hemingway (at least in that regard; he was a damn fine writer), I’m rounding up tips to keep your boozing manageable.
Although this is a little heavier than I wanted to get into in this post, the NIAAA (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism) has an excellent section of its website devoted to “Rethinking Your Drinking.” So many great tips I’ll be using.
My fave tip from the NIAAA intel: “Pace and Space” - which basically entails slowing down and sipping, and also alternating each cocktail with a mocktail. I tend to guzzle, so this one’s a goodie for me.
Here are a few more suggestions, courtesy of me, myself + moi:
1. Remember how booze packs on the lbs. Sorry to be a big ol’ buzzkill, but alcohol makes you chubby, straight up.
2. Remember how booze dries out your skin. It causes surface dehydration, which leads to that lovely (not) crepey jazz. So OL, right? Old ladies are awesome, but plump, dewy skin is what we’re after * no matter * our age.
3. Remember how booze effs with your sleep. Yes, it konks you out, but then it wakes you right back up circa 3 a.m. once it wears off. Shitty sleep is the mother of all beauty problems.
4. Remember how booze effs with your workouts. It’s a vicious circle, babe. If you don’t sleep, you aren’t gonna wanna wake up and hit the gym, class, bike path or running trail.
5. Remember how booze jacks up cellulite. Whoa! It does??? I just found this on the World Wide Interweb, so this is a new one for me. But it makes TOTAL sense, right? I need to investigate this further, STAT. Project.
Cheers to not drinking as much…xo