Leg Makeup: Not Nearly As Nuts As It Sounds
There's a woman - perhaps you've even heard of her - who goes by the name of Christie Brinkley.
This woman is insanely beautiful. Up close and personal, she is insanely beautiful, and also from afar. Even at the not-young age of 63, this woman is incredible.
This woman wears leg makeup.
Yes, Christie Brinkley swears by Jergens BB Body Perfecting Skin Cream for making her already-amazing, mile-long gams look even more fantastic. And I'm kinda thinking - and perhaps you are too - that if it's good enough for Christie Brinkley, it's good enough for me. In other words, I'll be nabbing Jergens BB Body on my next trip to Tarjay.
As I type this, there are a lot of women up north totes freaking out because the weather has been unseasonably warm in the past week or so and they're confronting the fact that they may have to prep their "summer body" a lot earlier than they anticipated.
Cry me a river. We Floridians have to be shorts-worthy 10 months a year.
Okay, that was mean. And really, truly I'm here to help.
So on that front, in addition to La Brinkley's fave body brew, I want to give you a short list of other leg makeup-type items that I swear by.
When I lived in New York and had to show up at a magazine on a regular basis, my "uniform" was pretty much a pencil skirt and towering heels. (I'm Olsen Twin-tiny.) And always, always bare legs unless it was 10 below zero. When I wasn't tan (shoot me; I tan), I would take the pale edge off with one of the trusty numbers below.
These leg makeup prods / bronzers provide zero-commitment color. Unlike self-tanner, they wash off. But don't worry about getting caught in a sudden downpour; most of these require a bit of hardy scrubbing to remove.
5 Truly Un-Scary Leg Bronzers
1. St. Tropez One Night Only This British brand makes many beloved self-tanners, but I happen to love the wash-off. I don't really know how to describe the color it imparts, but I'll go with "sophisticated." In beauty-speak, the tone leans more cool than warm.
2. Tarte Maracuja Rainforest Glow Instant Matte Waterproof Body Perfector Dries in a flash, which is deeply excellent if you don't have much time before you need to dash out the door.
3. L'Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Summer Express Wash-Off Body Makeup Lotion A very affordable option but go easy; it's the thickest of the bunch and a little goes a long way.
4. Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Illuminizing Body Butter Lowkey shimmer is the vibe with this one, but so, so pretty. Kills two birds with one stone - hydration with a dose of coluh.
5. Guerlain Terracotta Jambes de Gazelle Cooling Bronzing Mist This is expensive. And chic. And French. So there's all that. But it also happens to be laced with a rather intoxicating white flower-based fragrance. So, theoretically, it could double as your perfume, too. More bang for your beauty buck.
5 Tips For Really Nailing This
1. Pick your occasion. Listen, I love a good leg bronzer. (Obvi; I have about a million of them.) But I'm the first to say that it isn't an every-situation beautifier. Here's when it's ideal: When you're heading out for the evening (or church, or work) and you're wearing a dress or skirt with bare legs and the flash of pale, pasty skin is hitting you like a high-beam headlight. Dial-back the whiteness with a dab of makeup.
2. Give yourself plenty of time for it to dry. I don't think this point needs a long-winded explanation, right? You don't want it to come off on your clothes.
3. Don't cheat. By that I mean: Don't hop into your frock or skirt and then dab on leg makeup. Give yourself a leg up on the competition and apply + dry before dressing.
4. Mix it with your lotion. If you're a terrified leg-makeup newbie, or the formula you've chosen isn't especially hydrating, combining it with a bit of lightweight lotion can work wonders.
5. Remember to bounce it before beddy bye. Leg makeup + crisp white sheets = the worst couple on the planet.