Put The Flat-Iron On Ice: Five Super-Effective Leave-In Conditioners We Love
Until about October - when it starts to cool-off around these parts and the humidity normalizes - I hereby grant all of us coarse-haired creatures permission to let our textured flags fly.
Seriously, you have More Important Things to do than torching your strands into submission. Sure, you can break out your heat tools if you have a hot date, say, or an interview for the job of your ever-loving dreams. But for the most part, I say cool it, babe. Slick on a great leave-in and get back into the swim of things.
But not without product, as they say. Frizz without product is aging. Yes, you read that right; it makes us look old. I'm not really into that, and I'm guessing you aren't either.
So without further ado, here are my five current faves on the leave-in front. I bought the first three with my own hard-earned dough and was gifted the other two.
1. Infusium 23 Repair & Renew Leave-In Treatment - Be forewarned: This classic isn't for everyone. It's basically the texture of water, so it has to be spritzed-on rather than globbed-on with your mitts. I bought a massive bottle, so I 'decant' it into one of those teensy spray bottles you can pick up in the 'travel sizes' section of any major drugstore. I cheat on Infusium a lot, and I feel pretty guilty about that. When I remember to use it, it kinda rocks.
2. Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Grow Leave-In Conditioner - I'm a white girl, so I'm not a thousand percent sure I'm the target audience for this or any other Shea Moisture brew. But texture is texture, right? This leave-in is a little watery as well, but not so much that I have to do that whole decant-into-a-spray-bottle jazz. It has oodles of plant-y things in it (shea butter! peppermint!) so you feel all virtuous and Green Peace-y using it.
3. L'Oréal Paris Air Dry It Undone Style Cream - I bought this during The Great Anti-Frizz Hair Haul of Spring 2017, and now that I've had a chance to get thoroughly acquainted with it, I'm really liking it. It's a conditioning cream rather than a leave-in conditioner, so maybe not the best bet if your hair is super-parched. If you've been keeping up with your DIY deep-conditioning treatments like Lisa Daniels told us a while back, you should be good with this.
4. R+Co High Dive Moisture + Shine Crème - This brand. Holy moly. Everything is so delicious, so gorgeously packaged, so very very luxe. And the scents! This brew's laced with a fragrance called "Serious Gaze," crafted from blood orange, leather accord, violet and other sexpot ingredients. Friends, that's attention to detail. When an R+Co product crosses my path, I use it up like that. (Cue the crisp sound of snapping fingers.)
5. Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil - We open-minded and super-smart coarse-haired creatures don't get hung up on labels. Translation: Even if a product doesn't call itself a leave-in conditioner, if it conditions, and you can leave it in without looking greasy or crunchy, it's pretty much a leave-in. This two-fer - you can use it on your bod, too - is impossibly gorgeous. It is sooooo making the cut for my upcoming vacay.