Lean-Out Your Legs By Ditching Bread + Pasta (We Know, We Know...So Sad)
Ermagerd. Thanks to my psychotic new obsession - tennis - I haven't worn this many microscopic, teensy weensy skirts since the Nineties. Seriously, it's like totally normal down here for femmes d'un certain age to trot around in Lulus that barely cover their behinds.
Sure, I'm sporting these sex-pot togs mostly on the court, or bellied-up to the Racquet Club bar for a post-match drinkie. But it's also on the school run before the match, or in the supermarket after the match. My point is: I'm flashing a lot of bare leg year-round in FLA, way more than I ever did in New York, and it's cause for paranoia.
The last time I experienced such a degree of skimpy skirt / bare leg paranoia, I sought counsel from a beauty guru I was palling around with at the time - the inimitable Susan Ciminelli, an Olympic Goddess of Nineties Holistic Awesomeness. La Ciminelli knows beaucoup about nutrition, and she suggested I cut bread and pasta totally out of my diet for two weeks to see if it would bounce a few inches.
And guess what? It completely, unequivocally did.
In fact, the impact was so swift and dramatic that one of the Art Directors at W, the magazine at which I was toiling at time, point-blank said to me: "You look skinnier. I can see it in your legs." Um...thank you?
So let's cut right to the proverbial chase and find out why making this shift can work maje magic in leaning-out your legs.
Before I get rolling, I'd like to upfront cite my sources. I pulled my intel from:
Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It by Gary Taubes
Also, before I get rolling, I of course want to say that this bread + pasta embargo could (and probably should) extend to any refined carbohydrate. I just picked bread and pasta because they're ubiquitous. Meaning you're likely to encounter them in your daily travels. If you're encountering donuts, cronuts and birthday cake in your daily travels, good luck sister. That's above + beyond my job description.
Okay, I'm rush rush rushing to write this blog post because we're launching FloridaBeautyProblems.com today, after six long months of plotting + scheming, so I'm getting my ass in gear and top-lining...
The Top 5 Reasons You Should Ditch Bread + Pasta
1. Within two weeks, you'll lose a few lbs of "water" weight. Personally, I don't care what kind of weight I lose. Do you? I didn't think so.
2. Even if you aren't gluten-intolerant, gluten is decidedly un-awesome. Trendy, schmendy. Gluten is a robo-protein hatched in a lab to make baked goods last until the next millennium. Enough said.
3. Refined carbs have been linked to Alzheimer's disease. If you can potentially block that by merely eating better, wouldn't you want to?
4. They can put a roadblock between you + healthier foods. Think about it: If you're filling up on bread + pasta, you're crowding-out space in your belly for salads + veggies and other, healthier dinner fare.
5. You'll feel really proud of yourself. That alone can have a positive trickle-down effect on the rest of your beauty + wellness routine. I love a good trickle-down effect.