When Hyaluronic Acid Met Sunscreen: Why We Heart Anti-Aging, Skin-Beautifying SPF
The "G" word: I don't trot it out willy nilly.
But when I opened a happy little Fed-Ex box last week + discovered a Glytone sunscreen packed with hyaluronic acid, I was "Genius"-ing all over the place.
It just made purrrrrrfect sense. Why not plump + hydrate the skin to the max while also shielding it from the rays that can turn us into shriveled, age-spotted old prunes? That, my friend, is what we call a win-win. (Not the prune bit; the plumping, hydrating + shielding part.)
Hyaluronic acid confuses women, and understandably so. Since its name contains the word "acid," they automatically envision peeling, redness + several nights spent hiding-out at home, snuggled under a blankie + bingeing Netflix until they're presentable again.
That is so, so, soooo wrong. Hyaluronic acid is actually wildly soothing.
So WTH is hyaluronic acid, you ask?
Here are a few fun factoids you can trot out at the next cocktail party, should you reach a conversational lull:
5 FUN FACTS ABOUT
(AND SKIN BENNIES OF)
1. It's a glycosaminoglycan. Whew. That's a mouthful. The real need-to-knows are that it occurs naturally in the body and is a chief component of connective tissue. (Obvi any version of hyaluronic acid used in suncare or skincare is synthetic, not extracted from actual live human beings.)
2. It's a 'moisture magnet.' It can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water.
3. It's great for all skin types. Even if you tend to be oily, this high-powered hydrator will moisturize sans shine.
4. It's an antioxidant. Hate to break it to you, but your poor skin is under constant assault. In a big city like New York, that incessant 'free radical' pummeling is coming from stress and pollution. Down here in the Sunshine State, it's mostly generated by - you guessed it - sun. So what we 'lack' in stress + pollution, we get back in UV damage. Yay!
5. It's soothing + smoothing. Red, raw + blotchy? Calm down with a dab of hyaluronic acid. And if you're in the market for extra softness (who isn't?), this multi-tasking miracle ingredient can also deliver that.
TO CHECK OUT
I really love the Glytone, so that's on this list along with a handful of others.
FYI, these hyaluronic acid-spiked numbers can be a little pricier than regular sunscreens, so maybe reserve them for your gorgeous mug and use less-spendy stuff on your bod? Just a handy suggestion...
Avène Complexion Correcting Shield SPF 50+ (Note: This one contains sodium hyaluronate, the sodium salt of hyaluronic acid - a close-cousin ingredient with similar water-binding, skin-plumping bennies. Bonus: It's oh-so-slightly tinted, so it covers the sins of your sunning past.)