Four Lush Body Butters (+ A Lotion) To Keep Winter Skin-Flakies At Bay
Coughing, sneezing + wheezing with a vicious head cold - that's me in a nutshell at the moment. Don't ever let anyone tell you we don't get winter in Florida, because we totally, 1000 percent, actually do. When I wear arm warmers at tennis, that's your first clue the temperature has headed south.
Another sure sign it's February: the humidity isn't raging. Humidity is such a double-edged sword "down here." On the one hand, it puffs frizz-prone hair up like a beach ball and is the bane of my utter existence. On the other hand, it seems kinda great for skin. At least for skin below the chinny chin chin. You know...arms, legs, etc.
To counteract the winter flakies, I've been slathering on rich body butters the second I step out of the bath or shower - and I reco you do likewise.
Just remember: It's important to do it during the "three-minute window" while skin is still damp. So don't dilly dally and get lost in The Today Show or the local news, babe. Get clean, pat yourself down ever-so-slightly with a soft, fluffy towel, and get buttering.
Here are the four butters (+ a lotion) I currently have in heavy rotation, and why:
Beauty-Bestoring Body Butters
1. M-61 PowerGlow Body Butter: You're familiar with the M-61 line, oui? It's Bluemercury's powerfully tech-y "house brand" of skincare. This contains a hefty dose of glycolic acid and salicylic acids, so it retexturizes and exfoliates. Other key ingredients: vitamin K to blast stubborn dry patches, and aloe, coconut oil and shea butter to soften, soften, soften.
2. Korres Yoghurt Berries Firming & Antiwrinkle Body Butter: How much do I love that this delicious brew features "antiwrinkle" in its name? Because let's face it: it isn't like wrinkles confine themselves to our faces. Unfortunately, they can crop up anywhere. And because they're a direct byproduct of UV exposure, for those of us in the Sunshine State, staying line-free from head to toe is pretty much a full-time job. This butter is divine, but I think it's exclusive to HSN? I couldn't find it on the Korres site. No worries. You can easily nab one with the link above. Think of it as a healthy smoothie for your limbs, belly + other bits and bobs.
3. Kiehl's Creme de Corps Grapefruit Whipped Body Butter: This is from a special Disney x Kiehl's promo I wrote about before Xmas, and it might just represent the best $38 I ever spent. By splurging on this tub of yumminess, I bought 355 meals for Feeding America. Although this item isn't available now, you can - and should - score another tub of Creme de Corps. It's that good. Splurge-worthy good. May I suggest the Soy Milk & Honey version? Swoon.
4. Nourish Organic Skin Softening Body Butter in Fresh Fig: I swear I'm not trying to lead you down the rabbit hole, but it looks like this one has been discontinued too. Still, there are other luxe butters to choose from, like this Fair Trade Shea, or this Argan, or maybe this awesome-sounding Rose? The point is, you have plenty of non-fig options. And Nourish is a fantastic brand at a great price.
5. My Favorite Skin Care Co. Patchouli Spice Hand & Body Lotion: Before Xmas, I popped by Shopapalooza in downtown St. Pete, and was happy to see a booth for the locally based, super-affordable My Favorite Skin Care Co. (FYI, I've written about them before.) Although they were fresh out of my beloved Clean Cotton Hand & Body Lotion, I couldn't resist this heady number. It sounded winter-perfect, and they had me at patchouli. Yaaaaaas.