Dana's New Year's Frizz-Solutions: Hi-Tech, Lo-Tech + Everything In Between
Happy 2018, my lovelies!!! I predict it'll be a goody, for each and every one of us Floridians.
So it's official: I have the best hubby on the planet. Why am I so convinced of this fact? Bc as I type this, he's dutifully installing the new Aquasana shower filter I gifted myself for Xmas.
(They're on sale, btw; if you've been on the fence about getting one - and I totally get that, bc they're hideous-looking - now's the time to hop on off.)
Here's the thing about my gorgeous, vibrant and up-and-coming adopted city of St. Petersburg: The water here is Capital H Horrible. At least in my neck of the woods, which is Snell Isle. It's hard as a frigging rock, and if you're frizz-prone like me, it's a disaster. You're fighting an uphill battle every day, unless you want to skip washing your locks in the shower and spring for a bottled-water hair bath.
I do that, btw, on the rare occasions when I need to look especially en fuego.
While many Snell Isle / St. Pete households probably opt for a full-house filtration system, we didn't want to go that route, mainly because it would take up too much precious space in our garage. I love our garage - I had it tricked-out by Closets by Design a while back - but it needs to function as an on-site storage unit in addition to sheltering hubby's precious wheels. No room to spare for massive water filter units.
Anyway, I'm hoping my spiffy new Aquasana cuts my frizz waaaaay down. According to the company, it "filters 90%+ chlorine for softer skin and healthier hair," so we'll see....
I can already tell that this post is running away from me, and I have to get to Bodyrush for my weekly torture sesh with Matt Gardner, so I need to stay disciplined and focused and tell you exactly how else I'm fighting my epic frizz this year:
1. I resolve to wash my hair less. I play a boat-load of tennis, so this won't be easy, but I gotta give it a shot. Co-washing with conditioner is the obvious swap for sudsing up with shampoo. I have a few giant bottles of L'Oréal Paris Hair Expertise 6 In 1 Cleansing Balm and Pantene Truly Natural Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner to work my way through (hashtag Shop Your Closet), but once they're empty, I might spring for the R+Co ANALOG Cleansing Foam Conditioner, which is maybe the MOST DELICIOUS HAIR PROD I'VE EVER USED. In. My. Life.
2. I resolve to use paper towels instead of the real McCoy when I step out of the shower. Every top hairstylist on the planet swears by this for shutting down frizz, so I need to remember to frigging to just do it already. As soon as I finish this post, I'm stashing a few rolls in my master bath. Diana hearts Scott Rags In a Box; on my next trip to Sam's Club, I'm nabbing a life-time supply.
3. I resolve to "rough dry" my hair with my blowdryer first before sectioning. I've known for years (decades?) that I should do this, but I've always resisted it. Somehow, I latched-on to the cockamamie notion that I should torture each section dry by starting from sopping wet. I think John Frieda told me that back in the 90s. John: If you're reading this, how could you have given me such baaaaaad advice? (Hashtag Blame John.) After reading - okay, scanning not reading, but at least I bought it with my own hard-earned dough - Drybar founder Alli Webb's delightful book, I've been rough-drying first before sectioning. Guess what? It's awesome. Duh. It's soooo much faster. Faster = Less Damage. Less Damage = Less Frizz.
4. I resolve to skip oil + only use creme styling products to tame frizz. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, but oil always looks greasy on me. Before I know it, I'm spritzing away with dry shampoo to soak it all up. Thus, I'm sticking with cremes. And even though I'm super-mad at John Frieda for giving me bad blowout advice back in the 90s, his Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Touch-Up Crème is fantastique. I remember when he launched that. He used me and my scary-frizzy hair as the stunt model at the press event. I didn't know whether to be flattered or offended. Whatever. I just bought three bottles of Secret Weapon on Amazon anyway.
5. I resolve to condition, condition, condition. In addition to the Secret Weapon, I also just procured three bottles of Pantene Pro-V Overnight Miracle Repair Serum. What? You haven't tried it? Do it, sister. So so soooo good.
6. I resolve to sleep on satin pillowcases. I'm even taking them on trips with me now - that's how deadly serious I am about frizz-control.
7. I resolve to stay indoors. JK. I would never do that, even in 1000 percent humidity. Florida rocks. Besides...tennis.