The Bug Bite | Banana Connection: How Diet Affects Your Personal Deliciousness Level
A few weekends ago, the Hubster and I attended a banging pool party given by buddies from our beloved local Racquet Club.
Well actually, it was a PPINO - A Pool Party In Name Only. No one was in swimsuits + no one got wet. Fine by me; I was in no mood to drop my drawers in front of perfect strangers. As for my fellow Tennis Broads - aka the members of the party I already knew - they see quite enough of Yours Truly when I zip around the court in one of those itty-bitty, leg-baring skirts.
At a certain point, the conversation drifted toward bug bites. This is not unusual at Florida parties, and it is in no way an indication that the gathered individuals lack conversational heft and gravitas. Trust me - this is / was an accomplished, articulate bunch.
It's just that bug bites are quite literally a pain in the ass down here. And soooo unsightly!!!! Once they've taken root, you just have to ride it out. I've tried concealer-type cover-ups, like Boo Boo, which I have in several skin tones, and found them seriously wanting.
Ideally, it's much better to head bug bites off at the pass.
So when someone in my chit-chat group at the party mentioned that bananas were to be avoided at all costs if you want to cut down on your PDL (Personal Deliciousness Level), I had a full-on eureka moment. Not only was I tossing a banana in my morning smoothie, I also frequently grabbed them as a portable snack before I headed out the door.
That led me to wonder: What the hell else was I eating + drinking that make me a complete + total Mosquito Magnet?
Rather nicely, I've compiled a quick reference list for you FBP-ers. For now, it won't be super-comprehensive with all the whys + hows. It's Sunday, I have a glass of wine at my elbow, and I'm about to binge-watch the last three episodes of Big Little Lies with my better half.
Tomorrow, I'll come back and flesh this out + and turn it into an epic piece of Serious Journalism.
(Get it? Flesh it out? A post about bug bite prevention strategies?)
Foods + Drinks
That Make Bugs
Wanna Bite You
1. Avocados (Uh oh...these are so good for you that I hope I'm not right about this one.)
2. Bananas (They're like the carbiest fruit, so breaking up with them will be good for my thighs as well as my PDL.)
3. Beer (Huh...maybe this is why I was covered head-to-toe in bites our first summer in Florida! I was completely addicted to Big Wave Golden Ale and used to pound it on a nightly basis.)
4. Potassium (Okay, this isn't a food or drink, but it's in a lot of foods + drinks. Including the aforementioned bananas, along with lima beans, potatoes, prunes, raisins + other dried fruits. Oh and spinach. Damn. I like spinach.)
5. Salt (Better cool it on the chips, crackers + nuts, babe. They only set you up for craving more anyway. Carbs are really cruel that way.)
6. Sweets (Wow, this list is getting to be quite the bummer, no? Still, you shouldn't be eating a lot of sugar anyway, right? Because, like salt, it just boomerangs and makes you want more. Sugar is extremely evil + sinister in that regard. Kinda like bug bites.)
To end this post on a happy note - so you won't accuse me of being Dana Downer - here's a pic of the pool that nobody swam in during the PPINO. In the backdrop, purty old Tampa Bay.